Graffiti removal process has to be performed more often in the residential buildings where
there are children or on commercial infrastructure such as plazas and office buildings,
monuments, footpaths and bike paths, public toilets, street furniture, and litter bins,
playground walls, amusement park equipment, and sculptures. Graffiti is a painting or drawing on the walls of a building, which tarnishes the look of the building. Since graffiti drawings or writings are usually done by people without the consent or desire of the owner of the building, graffiti removal process has to be performed when they appear. The graffiti cleanup process can be tedious and costly depending upon the nature of the graffiti. It may be easy to remove graffiti if only a few words or a sentence is written but it can be difficult if a painting is drawn using different colors. The removal process is highly sensitive since care is required in order to protect the underlying surface of the wall. A suitable cleaning agent should be used and applied with the help of proper tools so that the graffiti can be removed and the wall surface can be protected. It is recommended that professionals perform the process of graffiti removal in order to achieve high-quality results.
Factors affecting the Graffiti Removal Process
There are a number of factors, which affect the graffiti removal process. Four main factors are stated below:
- Time: It is one of the most important factors in the graffiti cleaning habit. The
graffiti should be removed as soon as possible as over the course of time, the paint
may settle and it gets hard to remove it.
- Temperature: Another factor, which affects the removal process, is temperature. It is hard to remove the graffiti during the cold weather since the paint is bonded with the surface of the wall. However, in hot water, the paint can be easily removed.
- Cleaning Agent: The use of an appropriate cleaning agent is integral to the cleaning process. The cleaning agent should be suitable to nature of graffiti.
- Selected Method or Technique: The use of appropriate scrubbers or tools affect the effectiveness of the removal process. Proper tools should be used, which can remove the graffiti without affected the inner surface of the wall.
Steps involved in the Graffiti Removal Process
Following steps are involved in the cleanup process:
- Clean and dry the wall before initiating the process.
- Now, test the cleaning agent on another less apparent portion of the wall before applying it to the affected area. In case, all is well, apply it on the affected area.
- The cleaning should be undiluted so that it can work more effectively.
- Let the cleaning agent settle for 15 seconds.
- With the help of a soft sponge or a rug, wipe the affected area.
- Continue the gentle rubbing until the graffiti starts to come off.
- Repeat the above process on all the affected areas.
- Now, when all the graffiti has been removed, wipe it with the help of water.